Ah, the allure of the Art Deco bathroom. A style marked by its glamorous aesthetics from the Roaring Twenties, Art Deco remains a favourite choice for many homeowners looking to combine historical charm with modern luxury. If you’re considering stepping back in time and designing an Art Deco bathroom, here’s a guide to ensure your space embodies the elegance and functionality this style offers.
Here are some ideas to infuse your bathroom with the allure of the Art Deco era:
1. Bold Geometric Tiles:
- Opt for bold geometric patterns for your floor or wall tiles. Black and white chequerboard tiles, hexagonal tiles, or tiles with angular patterns can all capture the Art Deco spirit.
2. Luxurious Materials:
- Use marble for countertops and tub surrounds. Polished chrome, gold fixtures, and glass accents also resonate with the period.
3. Statement Mirror:
- A large, geometrically shaped mirror, especially with bevelled edges or intricate designs, can serve as the centerpiece of an Art Deco bathroom.
4. Vintage Lighting:
- Chandeliers with angular designs or wall sconces with frosted glass shades can add both function and flair.
5. Colour Palette:
- Stick to a luxurious colour palette that includes black, gold, silver, white, deep green, and navy blue. These colours exemplify the Art Deco era’s opulence.
6. Claw-foot or Freestanding Bathtub:
- A deep, freestanding bathtub can serve as the luxurious focal point of your bathroom.
7. Chrome and Glass:
- Chrome fixtures and fittings, combined with glass shelves or accents, will lend a sleek, modernist touch true to the Art Deco style.
8. Sunburst Patterns:
- Incorporate sunburst patterns in mirrors, tiles, or wall art. This motif was particularly popular during the Art Deco period.
9. Ornate Hardware:
- Opt for cabinetry pulls and doorknobs that boast intricate geometric or symmetrical designs in polished chrome or brass.
10. Vertical Lines:
- Emphasizing verticality was common in Art Deco architecture. You can incorporate this with tall cabinetry, vertically oriented tiles, or elongated mirrors.
11. Streamlined Fixtures:
- Choose taps, showers, and other fixtures with streamlined, sleek designs.
12. Frosted Glass:
- Frosted glass for shower doors or windows can provide privacy while aligning with the Art Deco aesthetic.
13. Graphic Wallpapers:
- Choose wallpapers with large geometric patterns, metallic accents, or zigzag designs.
14. Sculptural Elements:
- Incorporate sculptures or wall reliefs with stylized, geometric designs reminiscent of the period.
- Finish the look with vintage Art Deco accessories like soap dishes, toothbrush holders, and decorative trays.
Modern Twists on the Art Deco Bathroom Design
While it’s great to stay authentic, infusing some modern elements can enhance functionality:
- Modern Fixtures: While going for a streamlined design, opt for water-saving fixtures, aligning luxury with sustainability.
- In-floor Heating: A modern luxury that seamlessly integrates with any design, ensuring your Art Deco bathroom is cozy during colder months.
Accessorizing Your Art Deco Bathroom
Add finishing touches with vintage soap dispensers, Art Deco-inspired wall art, or even period-appropriate pottery. Remember, it’s the minor details that often pull the entire look together.
An Art Deco bathroom is all about combining luxury with sleek, geometric designs. While it’s a nod to the past, this style remains timelessly elegant and can be seamlessly integrated into contemporary homes. When planning your bathroom, focus on finding balance – opulence without overwhelming the senses, and vintage flair without feeling outdated.